Clan TDoM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clan TDoM

Home of Clan TDoM

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unique Mapping Concepts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Demo
Admin
Admin
Demo

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Unique Mapping Concepts Empty
PostSubject: Unique Mapping Concepts   Unique Mapping Concepts Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 5:13 am

As the name states, this area is simply created for members to show their unique and creative side. Now, this is a somewhat vague field, and that's the way I want it. Basically, just throw out anything here (be it newb or pro) that you think would be a cool new (or revised) idea for a map that hasn't been used at all (at least as far as you know).
You can either include simply an overview of the idea or an in-depth description; maybe even a demo of the trigger(s) itself.
I guess I might as well get us started. I don't want to bother with WE right now so I won't post any code, but I'll give an overview of my idea.

Now, most of you have already heard about my idea, and even seen me use it, but I figured I'd make it an official public ordeal. The idea is known as "hard-point skating" (and I know a lot of you think that's a poor name but get over it), and the idea behind it is that you turn instantly on ice, rather than making circles, etc. like on Polar Escape. Originally, I only intended this idea to be used for people with delay, but then decided to implement it full-time in one of my maps.

Now, when I first tell most people about this idea they just go, "Well, that's easy. Just tell the unit to face the ordered point instantly instead of over time." The prob with that is that you can't turn "instantly", but only very fast, based on a turning rate set in the "object editor". So no matter what you do you can't change their facing instantly. Now, there is a way to get around this...create a new unit at that unit's position and have it generate facing the given order-point. So, when a unit is given an order (and its unit-type is equal to the hero type), just remove the corresponding unit and replace it with a new one that matches its stats facing the given point, and just go from there. If you do it right, it doesn't lag at all. The only hard part is if you use the inventories at all you have to store all that data, etc. However, it's worth it.

So, have fun coming up with your own ideas. I'll probably come back later and post some triggers in if you guys want them. I've completely tested my triggers and they all work perfectly. I'll also post later another idea I have for giving player-units locust.
Back to top Go down
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: Unique Mapping Concepts   Unique Mapping Concepts Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 6:44 am

Demo wanted me to make a maze (ugh) and I agreed, but I wanted to make it a rushing maze (as did he). To do this Demo gave me the idea of somehow making the health of the mazing unit lose health when it was in contact with the "mazing terrain." I'm not exactly sure how to do it but my guess would be to make a trig basically like terrain check but instead of dying when the unit touched the terrain, it would simply lose health, if that's possible, and the trig timer would be set to 1 or 2 seconds instead of like .05. I really hope the maze will challenge true mazer's rushing abililty (that is if i ever get around to finishing it Mad )
Back to top Go down
Demo
Admin
Admin
Demo

Number of posts : 127

PostSubject: Re: Unique Mapping Concepts   Unique Mapping Concepts Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 9:30 am

The timer would have to be just as fast as normal, Smoke. The prob is, if they got to a safe spot that required only minimal movement, they could find a way to cheat the timer by moving/swerving back and forth very quickly. So, to make it smooth and more reliable, the timer would have to be very quick and just do very little damage (or have the unit's health points very high).

Actually, upon consideration, I'm not sure that you can decrease health using real values, only integers. I haven't tested this yet, but it would make sense that you could only use integers, therefore meaning that, for the trigger to go as fast as I wish it to, your units would have to have an amazing amount of health...too much for it to be convenient. So, you would either have to use your slower timer idea or create a separate idea for showing decremental health...such as decreasing gold or a multi-board.
Back to top Go down
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: Unique Mapping Concepts   Unique Mapping Concepts Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 1:49 am

You're idea of decreasing gold would probably work, if only based on the overdose idea in shroom world, but i wouldn't have really any idea on how to create that trigger Mad
Back to top Go down
Keitaro

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Unique Mapping Concepts   Unique Mapping Concepts Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 8:34 am

Demo wrote:
The timer would have to be just as fast as normal, Smoke. The prob is, if they got to a safe spot that required only minimal movement, they could find a way to cheat the timer by moving/swerving back and forth very quickly. So, to make it smooth and more reliable, the timer would have to be very quick and just do very little damage (or have the unit's health points very high).

Actually, upon consideration, I'm not sure that you can decrease health using real values, only integers. I haven't tested this yet, but it would make sense that you could only use integers, therefore meaning that, for the trigger to go as fast as I wish it to, your units would have to have an amazing amount of health...too much for it to be convenient. So, you would either have to use your slower timer idea or create a separate idea for showing decremental health...such as decreasing gold or a multi-board.

I have seen such trigger to where a players health slowly decreases, though, the actual trigger itself, i have not gotta my hands on. Though I would really like to, i would have to take a aprt a map and peice it back together, possibly losing important data along the way.

and I would say that the speed of the trigger wouls have to be very high, as the health of the heros, but i think you can set it to a .x, but i have not tried as of yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unique Mapping Concepts   Unique Mapping Concepts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unique Mapping Concepts
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Clan TDoM :: Warcraft III :: Mapping-
Jump to: